Monday, January 8, 2018

Baptism and Cold Weather

How’s everything going? Everything here has been awesome!  I am so glad that you all were able to go to the temple and do sealings for those that have been waiting a long time. At home I would hear Eternal families and Salvation all the time. And I feel like those words just kind of brushed through me with no severity. But when I hit the mission field, Salvation took a whole new meaning! Eternal families are amazing and it is one of the best things Our Heavenly Father has given to us! Eternal families would not be possible without Jesus Christ. It’s crazy to think how many people are waiting for their work to be done! 
          This last week has been very busy, and this week will be the same way! The cold over here is not like Wyoming. -20 in Wyo is freaking cold and all, but here it is a wet cold. It goes right under your clothes and makes you chilled to the bone! Alot of nights this past week Sister Christiansen has told missionaries who are walking and biking to stay indoors because it has been really cold. The wind here hits you in the face like a sack of bricks.. not a joke! haha It has been moving cars on the freeways and stuff!
Anyways, The baptism for Ashton was awesome! It was one I will never forget and here is why! We go to the church a little early that day to fill up the font and to do everything we needed to so that everything was set up. So we turn the water on and start to let it fill up. Well we go in and check on it and we feel the water.. The water is ice freaking cold.. So we check the hot water valve and the hot water is not working.. So we let the font fill up to the line and I start to dread the moment of walking down into the font myself.. lol So we get into our whites and we get everything ready and the whole baptism service went great. The talks, prayers and songs all went great. But then came the time for me and Ashton to walk down into the font. So I walk in first and Ashton follows. The water instantly takes my breath away. We get into position and I start to say the words.. I’m pretty sure my voice went up 3 octaves.. lol But the great thing about it all is I had the opportunity to baptize him. I remember the first day we met him and now I am the one putting him in the water. Its been amazing to see him change into the person he is now. He is already talking about going on a mission. He posts pictures of Book Of Mormon scriptures on social media! Its awesome! I had never had the experience of baptizing someone. But as soon as I said "Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ.." I immediately felt Gods love for all of his children. And just like you and the family did, I was able to see someone start their journey to eternal life with our Heavenly Father. I cant describe how much I loved the experience! I will never forget the feelings I felt. But I will also never forget it because of how cold the water was! haha It was in the negatives here and just imagine those frozen pipes underneath the church.. That’s how cold the water was! lol
       I also don’t think I will be transferred either. I hope I stay one more transfer. If I do, I will have been in Cumberland for 6 months! I love it here so I don’t think I would mind! I could stay here for 5 more!   I’m glad to hear that Sam Moore is ready to go on January 31st! What’s weird is she will still get home before me! haha I did receive your letter! I liked it! And I liked the pictures! 
       We have had a very busy week. We also had a member of the seventy come and talk to us on Saturday! His name was Elder S. Gifford Nielsen. He talked about the Book of Mormon and also President Monson. I was very sad to hear the news of president Monson passing away! But I love the theme of his prophetic ministry.. His theme was always service. It was "Go to the rescue" Everything he did was about going to the rescue. It was always about loving others and finding those that needed you! I loved the guy and he was an example to millions! 
       Anyways, we have another baptism coming up on the 20th and one on the 3rd of February! I can’t wait for them! I would be really sad if I got transferred and then I didn’t get to see them! I will be sending a letter home this week. And taking my ornaments off the tree.. I never thought that would be an emotional part?! ;) jk I am starting to love the work and I for sure love the ward and the people. Thanks for the emails and all of the love and support you have shown me. I couldnst be out here without you! Love ya!
                     

                                                                               Love, Elder Welling!













No comments:

Post a Comment