Monday, March 19, 2018

The Ups and Downs in Romney


Hey All!!

    Everything over here has been going pretty good! Romney is getting better and better and we are having better weeks here. We have had an alright week with the work here in Romney.
     A lot of stuff has happened to us while being together in Romney.. We have had a tree fall on our trailer.. Cockroaches and spiders all over the place in the trailer, and now our smart phones don't have service clear out here in Romney!! We have to go to the church to get Wi-Fi when we want to do something!! So pretty much everything that could go wrong has been going wrong.. Haha so this last week Elder Brown and I have been pretty discouraged about it. We haven't taught one lesson this whole last week and we have been knocking doors like crazy trying to teach someone. We are trying everything to get someone to hear our message and nothing was happening. So we were pretty upset about it all. We have been praying every day for a new investigator! Well after much work and patience.. The Lord finally showed us that this area is not dead. So this past week we walk into a person’s house named Diana. And we get talking and one of the first things she says to us is "Hey, I have been looking online for a Book of Mormon and I was wondering if you could give me one? I have been looking for one."... Our jaws about hit the floor. We couldn't believe it!! Haha a couple days later we are walking around the hills and mountains of Romney on the dirt roads, and on the end of the road we see a HUGE mansion! So we go and we knock on the door and a tall, older man answers the door and we begin our door approach "Hey we are the missionaries.." and he cuts us off right there and immediately says "Come in."  I was thinking "oh crap, oh crap" because no one lets us in that easily. I thought he was going to bash us!! Haha but it turns out he is the nicest guy ever!! He says he would love to hear our message. He said he had ran into missionaries from our church in Germany and was interested in them!! We are going back to teach him and his wife!! We then were online proselyting on Facebook last week and we found 4 potential investigators that all said they would be interested in learning through messenger about the restored Gospel!! The Lord has blessed us with a fresh pool of investigators this week!! This area is not dead!! #MiraclesInRomney!!! Haha
        This last week I have killed more cockroaches then I have fingers.. We come home at night, flip on the lights, and you just see a bunch of them scatter to all areas of the trailer..  Haha I didn't need to be sent foreign on my mission to experience these kinds of things.. I've got a West Virginia Trailer haha! I never thought this would be a problem on my mission!
        Not a lot of details to send you all this week.. We have been walking and knocking all day every day!! With how small Romney is, we may run out of doors to knock!! Haha 
        We were teaching a restoration Lesson this week and we are in a house with this lady who has at least 20 cats.. We are in middle of the lesson and then all of the sudden, one of the cats digs its claws in to the back of my ankle.. Of course right in the middle of the spiritual part, I kick my leg up in the air and give out a little scream of pain.. Haha my leg flew up and smacked her table and almost knocked it over!! Haha that's the first time on my mission I have wanted to murder a cat too.. Haha
       I got on Facebook this last week on Saturday.. And the first thing that pops up on the news feed is BABY WELLING coming in SEPTEMBER 2018!! Haha Elder Brown and I were blown away. I remember you telling me the news.. But it wasn't a reality until Saturday! Haha I thought it was sooooo crazy!! I'm excited for them though!!
        We were in Sunday school yesterday at church and the Stake leaders were all here from Winchester. Well the Stake President was up in the front of the class speaking about temples and how important they are.. The stake President said "let's just imagine that the Saviors executive secretary calls you up and says.. Hey! Dave come to the temple. The Savior wants to meet with you." he said this jokingly.. His point in saying this was the Savior wants us to come to the temple.. I kid you not a man who sits in the back every week, stands up and yells! "Blaspheme!! That's Blaspheme!!" no joke!! I just couldn't believe it.. This man who yelled that, always comes and argues with everyone.. He is one of those nuts that shows up to church thinking his priesthood is better than the rest.. Haha I just couldn't believe he yelled that at the Stake President. Haha it was wildddddd. It embarrassed the Stake President and then they stepped out and had a chit chat.. Haha the funny thing is this guy doesn't even know what the word blaspheme meant or was! Haha
       Tonight at our stake General priesthood session I was standing in the Foyer and a man came up to me and said "Elder where are ya from?" I said that I was from Evanston Wyoming and he said "No way!! Do you know the Lester's??" and I said yes I do!! Which ones!? And he says Nate Lester! And I say yes I know him and I graduated with his son Sam Lester! This guy is Sam Lester's Uncle! Haha it's a small world! It's been a weird day.. 3 different people have talked to me today about people they know from Evanston.. Another one knew all of the Grolls! My stake president over here is President Groll and he is related to all of them! It is a small world! Haha
        Well not much else has happened this week. The Book of Mormon March Madness Challenge is going great! I am right on track and ready to finish it all up again.  Thanks for the emails! I love and miss ya! Have a great week!! 

Love, Elder Welling! 





























No comments:

Post a Comment