Monday, March 18, 2019

"Baltimore: The Greatest City in America"


Hey All! 

"Baltimore: The Greatest City in America!"

Every bench in Baltimore has this saying on it.. Haha 

Well everyone I have found out this week that I have been pronouncing "Baltimore" wrong my entire life.. In the actual city, when you are trying to say "Baltimore" drop the "T" out of the name and you'll get it right. They pronounce it "Ball-More"

What a week of change it has been! I went from one of the smallest populated areas in our mission to the highest populated area in our mission! The Chesapeake ward that I serve in covers the whole bay area, and the entire East side of the Baltimore City. This is change ladies and gentlemen.. When I saw the sky scrapers and tall buildings for the first time I about choked. Haha I got to my area, dropped my suitcase off at the apartment, and we got out and went to work! We started by getting on the bus, which is actually the funnest thing ever. We are the "Bus Elders" as everyone in our mission calls us. We are on the bus full time! We don't have a car, so we are 100% of the time on the buses here! And let me tell ya... Just in the short time I've served here, I have seen some wild things while sitting on these buses. Haha LOTS of drunk people! There is a liquor store almost in every corner of Baltimore.. Haha for every church there is out here I feel like there is 2 liquor stores!

As missionaries we are told and instructed to talk to everyone we see. Well my first day here when I bussed into the City, I stepped off the bus and saw hundreds and hundreds of people.. How in the world am I supposed to talk to everyone? That has actually been super stressful. Haha but sitting on the bus is nice because you can always strike up a conversation with the random guy named Jimmy on your right! Haha

While being here in Baltimore I have become accustomed to blaring rap music in the streets, garbage flying everywhere, and the smell of weed. Hahaha the city has opened my eyes so much!

The apartment here in the Chesapeake area isn't the best. It may look nice from outside, but it's pretty crummy. Haha I think I would take the Romney Trailer before I take this apartment! But it will all be okay! We have a little mouse in our apartment that is smarter than our traps.. It's either that or the mouse is smarter than us. Hahaha it could be both. But while eating lunch or dinner the mouse will pop up out of our stove top and just look at us and mock us. Haha we have tried quite hard to kill the thing. But the mouse is winning..

My companions name is Elder Jared Howell from Salem, Oregon! He has been out a transfer longer than I have and he has served in some of the same areas I have! We don't have much in common at all to be honest, but we make it work and have a good time so far.
I'm still the DL and yes my whole district is in my ward! So I see them like 10 times a week! Haha so it will be super fun

On the spiritual side of things I have truly felt like this area has brought me to the high point of my mission. It is the point where I have been in the mission for a while, I know the basics, and I have 5 months to live it up! I have learned so much in just a week of being here. Seeing people live the way they do in Baltimore has opened my eyes and made me look differently at these people. It's sometimes super sad to see some people actually living the way they do, it's also very mind blowing to see some people act the way they do. Haha But all in all, the general thing I have learned while being here is how much the world needs Jesus! That sounds super cheesy.. Haha but no joke! You should see these streets. If any place on earth needs Jesus, it is Baltimore city. My eyes have been opened to what the world is really like in some places. It's crazy! Not all places are like Utah and WYO. We have been blessed to have all that we have back home in Utah and WYO.

The best part of my week has seriously just been walking the streets and saying hi to random people. All day and all night we see people walking past us so down about life. But walking past them and saying hi and then joking around with them or just talking with them for a minute just brings a light to their eye. It has been a blessing to see this all day everyday with people walking in a city that has little hope.

Anyways, thanks for the emails and support! I love and miss you! Thanks for all you do! I am loving life, and my mission.

Love, Elder Welling!














No comments:

Post a Comment