Monday, November 27, 2017

Mission Life and Thanksgiving

How’s it going?
     Well, the mission life is an interesting one. One day you are seeing miracle after miracle, and the next you see nothing.. But this week we made contact with long lost investigator of ours! His name is Kevin and he is 21. He was homeless and disowned by his parents. He is mentally disabled, but is very accountable. Kevin was homeless for 4 years and then eventually found a very crummy house. He was on date to be baptized in August but that fell through. So, we thought we would go see him again. He doesn’t have a phone so it is pretty hard to track him down. So we prayed and prayed that we would find him. We went out that night and walked down his street and walked into his creepy apartment building. We get to his room and knock and he doesn’t answer. But then he came out of the room next door! haha So we walk over and start talking to him about how he has been! Well the thought came to me to ask him if we could meet his friend. He agrees and he takes us over and introduces us to this 46 year old black man. We walk into this room and my head is hitting the ceiling so you can imagine how small it is.  His name is Ray! We got talking and this guy is pretty poor. For Thanksgiving, he and Kevin had nothing. They told us that over behind the train tracks in the tall grass is a thing they call "Wild Bird", and for thanksgiving they went over there and caught a wild bird, which is no bigger than a chicken and ate it. They are living off wild birds.. So they point to the counter and there is a gooey, cooked up, torn apart bird.. Honestly I felt so bad for these 2 I wanted to cry. They had NOTHING. So we told them to get dressed and we walked down the street with them to get them pizza. We sat and ate and you could just see a light in their eyes has they ate actual food. We invited Ray to church and he came! He accepted the Book of Mormon and wants to come back to church next week! 
     The Lord leads and guides his work! From a thought to helping one of Gods precious children. We have been blessed this past week with charity and seeing how it works in people’s hearts. 
     Hopefully all is going well at home! Thanksgiving here was great. We went to the Buttermarks. They took us to Gettysburg back in October! I don’t think any Thanksgiving is better than Grandma Hatch’s or Grandma Welling’s! It just isn’t the same! haha For our preparation day today we are going on a hike with a ward member. I will take pictures and then send them next week! 
     Pray and rely on the Lord for strength. That’s why I have loved my mission so far. You never knew how much you needed to rely on the Lord until you have no one else. And I promise the Lords help is sufficient for us. Well not much else has happened lately.  Well are you excited to see me at Christmas or what? Less than 4 weeks away! haha, Everyone, can promise you more than I ever could at home, That this gospel is true. And that God loves his children. My testimony has slowly grown into something that will never leave me. In the 4 months I have been out, The Lord has shown time and time again that he loves me and the people I am teaching. Whenever anyone doubts, all they have to do, is READ the Book of Mormon!! I love that book so much. I am about to finish it for the first time on my mission! I started at 1 Nephi in the MTC and I’m close to being done now! By Christmas I will be done! I just finished Alma!
    Well I hope you have a great week! Tell Grandma I love and miss her and that I think about her often!


Love Elder Welling















No comments:

Post a Comment