Monday, July 22, 2019

The West Side of Baltimore


Hey All!! 

I have officially started my last and final transfer and it has been a wild ride so far.

I am so grateful for every transfer on my mission. All of my companions and all of my areas have blessed my life in ways that I never knew they could. I'm going to miss the relationships that I have had with all of the missionaries and members here on the East Coast! 

On Wednesday morning a member of The Chesapeake Ward came and picked us up and drove us all the way to Columbia Maryland to the Stake Center there. When we got there all of the missionaries that I have served with for 2 years were all getting ready to go home that next day! So we said good bye to all of them and that was pretty sad. Elder Jex, Elder Coombs, Elder Zuniga, Elder Winn, Elder Brown, Elder Howell and lots of other ones. Haha there group had 30 missionaries go home!

After we talked to the departing missionaries for a little bit, Elder Shepherd and I went into the meeting where the Trainers and all the new missionaries were. All the trainers sat on one side of the room and all of the new missionaries sat on the other side of the room. President Mutombo called each missionary up one at a time and then announced who their trainers were going to be. President Mutombo called up Elder Shepherd and I and told everyone that we would be training in Inner Harbor Baltimore! President Mutombo then announced that we would be training a kid named Elder Nathanael Griffin from Colorado Springs! He is super tall, and he is quiet and reserved. Haha but he is awesome. I feel bad for him sometimes because only a week ago he was chilling in the nice Provo MTC where everything is nice and clean looking.. And then only a week later he is thrown into downtown Baltimore City for his first area.. Where the constant smell of weed makes him sick, and the ghetto gang talk scares him. Haha we keep telling him to not look down and act scared and shy or these guys will stab him.. Haha we tell him to look up and act confident like he knows what he is doing. He is getting used to the city.. But you can just tell that going from Provo UT to Inner city Baltimore has him a little freaked out. Haha

When you first come on a mission you get a trainer. And missionaries call their trainers their "Mission Dad" so of course Elder Shepherd and I joke around all the time that our new little trainee has 2 dads.. Haha training a new missionary in a trio is actually aloooooot more fun than I thought it would be! We have been having a good time and these last weeks of being a missionary are going to FLY.

Elder Shepherd is from Idaho Falls and he goes home with me in 5 weeks, so we are both trying to not get superrrrr trunky because if we get super trunky, then we would wreck our brand new trainee.. Especially because he has 24 months left to go! Haha so pray for this kid.. He is going to be watching us pack up to go home, he will watch us do my plan, he will watch us get our departing interviews with President Mutombo, and he will watch us both get on an airplane and head home here soon. Haha

The West side of Baltimore is CRAZY. Holy cow. I didn't think it got crazier than what I saw on the East side.. But the west side is insane. We get to ride the Metro and the light rail all throughout the city and that is actually pretty fun. The Metro goes underneath the city and I've never been able to ride anything like that, so I have enjoyed all of this new stuff! Even the advanced ghetto stuff that I am now seeing! ;) haha the West side of Baltimore is definitely a lot more wild than the east side. 

On Elder Griffins first day as a missionary, we got on the metro at 6:30pm and headed into downtown Baltimore to a Bible study. When we got on the metro the sky was mostly clear with some clouds. An hour later when we got off, we got up to the ground level again and it was DUMPING rain. Like this rain was harder than any other rain I've ever seen out here on the east coast and I've seen it rain a TON out here. Haha we all look at each other and no one has an umbrella.. So since our church building was pretty close we would ran there and got inside. So we booked it to the church and we got SOAKED. Like when I stepped into the church building it looked like I had just climbed out of a pool and was dripping wet everywhere. Haha so yes, on Elder Griffins first day in the mission field, he got drenched by the Baltimore rains and he was cold and wet for the rest of the night.. He will never ever forget his first day as a missionary now! Haha

We also have this sweet senior couple in our ward here in the Inner harbor named the Stubblefields! They feed us every Sunday evening and they help this ward out a ton! I was super excited to come here because I have never really served around a senior couple on my mission, so this transfer will be sweet! 

My week has been so good, and I am so excited for everything that will be happening these next 5 weeks! Thank you for everything and for the love and support. I love and miss you!

Love, Elder Welling!










No comments:

Post a Comment